Ormoc City Police Office
Ormoc City is the pioneer City of Leyte province. It is the first non-provincial city of the Philippines. The name Ormoc was derived from the word “Ogmok”, an old Visayan term for lowland or depressed plain.
Ormoc City is situated in the northwestern part of Leyte province, in an enclave facing the Ormoc Bay. It is about 109 kilometers from Tacloban City, Leyte’s provincial capital and can be reached in 2 hours travel time by bus. It is bounded by rough mountainous section along the East, which acts as natural barriers to the periodic Pacific typhoons. Its strategic location makes the city an ideal and popular jump-off point for Cebu, the rest of the Visayas and northern Mindanao. It is accessible from Manila by land for approximately 28 hours by bus and 36 hours by boat. To Cebu, it can be reached within 4 hours by land transportation through inter-connecting land mass using roll on, roll off sea crafts, 2 hours by fast craft and 5 hours by boat. To Davao City, it is about 22 hours of ecstatic ride aboard bus and ferry boat.
Ormoc City has a total land area of 464.3 sq kms with a total population of 168,620 as of 2006 and a population density of 370.79 per sq km with land classification as 62% agricultural, 16% forest, 15% grassland/open spaces, 5% built-up area and 2% mangrove or wetland. Literacy rate is at 94% with languages/dialects like English, Chinese, Cebuano, Waray and Filipino.
Ormoc City is regarded as the biggest rice producer in Leyte as well as a major producer of livestock and poultry. Wide swaths of land are planted to sugarcane, rice, and several varieties of fruits, legumes, coconuts, vegetable, root crops and corn.
HISTORY OF OCPO
This command is presently stationed at Camp Downes, Ormoc City. The location is bounded from the north by Brgy Can-adieng over-looking the City proper, bounded from the east is the sugar plantation, connecting the foothills of upland of Lake Danao and Tongonan Hot Springs now the source of electric energy produced by PNOC and NPC. From the west, is the shoreline over-looking the Ormoc Bay. In the south, bounded by Brgy Bantigue leading to industrial compound of Ormoc Sugar Company, a sugar mill. Camp Downes, where this Command is located derived from the name of Pvt Jorge Downes, a US Army soldier of 24th Infantry Regiment who was killed in action sometime in 1901 at Brgy Mahayay, Ormoc City against a fanatical group called “PULAHAN”. A Pulahan chieftain named Faustino Ablan was also killed together with his several men during the said bloody battle. When the American troops had moved out to other location, the place was turned over to the Philippine Government.
On the year 1980, the City Government of Ormoc passed and approved a resolution renaming the Camp Downes to Camp Col Ruperto Kangleon, a native of Leyte for his heroic deeds during World War II, then the highest military officer who organized the guerilla forces against the Japanese Imperial Army operating in the Southern sectors or Leyte. But presently its new name is not widely and officially use by the people of Ormoc City. Hence, its revision to its old name of Camp Downes.
On the year, 1926, this unit was originally activated bearing the name as 32nd PC Company. It was the command of LT SEGUNDO VERGARA, a PMA graduate until it was changed as 1st Military Police (MP) Company in 1945 under the Command of LT JOSE BUSTILLO. On the same year, month of August, a new name was designated into 41st MP Company, stationed at Negros Oriental, but it was transferred at Camp Downes on 21 June 1947. In 1948, this unit was again re designated as 3rd Leyte PC Company and on 19 March 1954, this unit was again designated as 59th Company pursuant to HPC Directive dated 1 July 1954. On 16 August 1966, the 59th PC Company deactivated and finally activating the 352nd PC Coy with the original strength of 3 officers and 65 enlisted men. Some members were former PA soldiers and from the defunct 59th and 58th PC Coys. The AOR was changed onto smaller land area which covers the Ormoc City and four (4) municipalities of Albuera, Kananga, Merida and Matag-ob, Leyte.
The absorption of the PC and INP into Philippine National Police (PNP) pursuant to RA 6975 on January 1991, the 352nd PC Coy became the 352nd Mobile Force Coy. It was the operating force of Ormoc Metropolitan District Command (METRODISCOM) which was activated on 1 February 1992 pur to section 1 GO No. 58, NHQ, PNP Camp Crame, Quezon City dated 28 January 1992 which expanded the previous area of Merida, Matag-ob, Palompon, Albuera, Kananga, Isabel and the City of Ormoc. On 1 July 1994, the Ormoc METRODISCOM was deactivated pur to GO No. 103 dated 8 July 1994. The OMDC, 352nd PNP MF Coy and Ormoc City Police Station were dissolved and renamed into ORMOC CITY POLICE COMMAND was mandated by Memo Cir on the reorganization of PNP Provincial/City Command dated 22 June 1994 and the NAPOLCOM Resolution No. 92-36 dated 15 October 1992 approving the revised Organization Structure of the PNP. The merging of personnel of the defunct units into the OCPC brought to the strength of 174, including officer and men. The Command’s revised AOR is the entire land area of Ormoc City which is 464 square kilometers with the population of more than 164,744 inhabitants composed of 110 barangays and district. The AOR is divided into two (2) Police Precincts. Precinct No. 1 located in the heart of Ormoc City, covers the 86 barangays and Precinct No. 2, located at Brgy Valencia about 13 kilometers away from the city proper which covers 24 brgys.
The present City Director is PSSUPT MANUEL ENAGE CUBILLO, CSEE (DSC) PNP, who took command effective 27 July 2006.