Leyte Police Provincial Office
It was with great pride, but within the bounds of humility and humbleness, that the historical accounts of the Leyte Constabulary Command, before, during and after World War II up to the present time, is being presented, hoping as we do that it will provide the reader an insight into its history, its problems, its sentiments and its prospects for a better future for the interest and welfare of the people it serves.
Our presentation is based solely from collected and available documented evidences kept by the unit, and from other information’s gathered form former members. The former site of the Provincial headquarters, Now the Leyte Park Hotel, got its name from an American Army Officer, 1LT WILLIAM BUMPUS, who, during the height of the Philippine-American War, was a lone survivor of he famous Balangiga massacre in Eastern Samar. His courage, presence of mind and stamina, brought him safety to Basey, Western Samar and finally to Tacloban, Leyte by swimming across Cancabatok Bay and landed in the Northeastern portion of the camp, which was later on named Camp Bumpus owing to this particular feat.
In the year 1901, the Philippine Constabulary was organized and activated under the command Brigadier General Henry T. Allen. Simultaneous, Provincial PC Units were established all over the country. In Leyte, the headquarters was established in Camp Bumpus, Tacloban City. This activation started the drive to police the whole territory from the remnants of he revolutionaries and other landless elements until peace and order was more or less restored.
Just before the outbreak of the Second World War, the Constabulary Units in Leyte were the 1st Leyte PC Company in Ormoc, Leyte and the 3rd PC Company in Malitbog, Leyte the latter is now under the Leyte Sur Province. Later on, these units were inducted into the USAFFE, and then under the command of Major Juan Reyes, and later after its induction, the command started building up its defenses along the coastal lines of the island in anticipation to defend Leyte from the expected Japanese invasion. Fortunately, no enemy landings or attacks were made, hence, the units did not experience any action, until on 26 May 1943, just after the proclamation of the surrender of General Wainwright, when the Pacific was invaded, and Japanese Imperial Forces occupied the land. A few officer and men of the respective units surrendered, while the majority of them returned to their respective homes bringing along with them their individual firearms. These organic members who refused to surrender to the captors became the organizers and nucleus of the resistance movement in the province. Although inferior in arms, war equipment and other logistical materials the great deficiency in military power was never a hindrance in their plight towards the liberation of the island from the Japanese domination.
The strong determination and commitment to leave behind footprints of their avowed duty to make this Republic a sovereign nation, has proven numerous successes during the struggle. Heroic ambuscades, raids and attacks on small Japanese unit detachments have shattered the timetable of complete domination of the island. These sabotages effected courageously has ruined the Japanese defense plan, and paved the way for Leyte’s recapture on 20 October 1944, when the words” I SHALL RETURN” was fulfilled and the whole island liberated.
After the complete liberation of Leyte in 1945, and just after the reestablishment of the Philippines Commonwealth government by virtue of Executive Order Nr 21 issued by the late President Sergio Osmeña, Sr, which seat of governmental affairs was in Tacloban, Leyte, the 1st Leyte Company was activated foe the maintenance of Peace and Order, followed by the establishment of the 2nd PC Company in Ormoc, Leyte. On the same year the Headquarters Military Police Command (MPC) was activated to General Order Nr 103, Headquarters, Philippine Army, APO 72 dated 16 July 1945 with component units as the 41st MP Company in San Fernando, Tacloban, Leyte; the 42nd MP Company in Opong, Tolosa, Leyte and the 43rd MP company in Ormoc, Leyte. The unit Commander, who was designated as the Provincial Post Marshal, was then Major Francisco Rosca, who became the first Provincial Post Marshal of Leyte. The unit experiences various changes in its designation of units, such that in 1947, the units designated were changed to 1st MP Company in Tacloban, Leyte; the 2nd MP Company in Tolosa, Leyte which was later on transferred to Burauen, Leyte; and the 3rd MP Company in Ormoc, Leyte.
Later on, in 1948, headquarters Military Police Command (MPC) was re-designated: Headquarters Philippine Constabulary, Camp Bumpus, Tacloban, Leyte with no changes of personnel; while the component were re-designated as the 41st Leyte PC Company in Tacloban, Leyte; the 42nd Lyte PC Company in Burauen, Leyte; and the 43rd Leyte PC Company in Ormoc, Leyte. In 1950, the unit was again re-designated into the 1st Leyte PC Company in Tacloban, the 2nd Leyte PC Company in Burauen and the 3rd Leyte PC Company in Ormoc. In later part of 1950, the strength of Leyte PC Command was reduced and the corresponding excess personnel were redeployed to the 15th BCT, PA. From January 1951 to April 1953, these constabulary units were placed under the administrative and Operational control of the III Military Area, PA. After a while in May 1953, the Zone Headquarters were activated all over the country, and the respective PC Units were reverted back and placed under the administrative control of Headquarters, III PC Zone, Cebu City; while the former PC units in Leyte were re-designated as the 67th PC company in Tacloban City, the 58th PC Company in Burauen, Leyte and the 59th PC Company in Ormoc City, while the 58th PC company in Burauenleyte was deactivated and its personnel were either absorbed by the two (2) units or transferred to headquarters III PC Zone.
In the year 1968, by virtue of General Order Nr 174, Hqs Philippine Constabulary, dated 20 February 1968, the 354th PC Company was activated and stationed in Calubian, Leyte with authorized strength of three (3) officers and sixty-five (65) enlisted personnel. These three (3) organic units of Leyte Constabulary/INP Command were augmented by virtue of a verbal directive of the President during his visit in Leyte on 11 May 1968, to activate a Special PC Company in BrgyBusali, Biliran, Sub-Province of Biliran, Leyte. Hence, pursuant to LOI Nr 1 Hqs Leyte Constabulary/INP Command dated 17 May 1978, the Special PC Company was organized and activated with and initial component of two (2) officers and fifty (50) enlisted personnel generated from the current strength of this command, which took effect the same date. Its area of responsibility covers the island municipalities of Biliran, Naval, Almeria, Kawayan, Culaba, Caibiran, Cabucgayan, Maripipi, all in the Biliran Sub-Province including the islands of Higatangan. Then, pursuant to General Order Nr 739, GHQ, AFP dated 29 October 1979, this special PC Company was constituted as 355th PC Company activated effective 17 October 1979 in accordance with AFP TO/E 7-17 dated 11 December 1967, and assigned with PC RECOM 8 with stationed at BrgyBusali, Biliran Sub-Province of Leyte. Authorized ceiling for CY 80 are two (2) Officers and fifty (50) enlisted personnel.
Added to the administrative and operational control of the Leyte Constabulary Command were the components of the two (2) Cities and forty nine (49) municipal police and fire departments and jails of the Province, by virtue of Presidential Decree Nr 765, dated 8 August 1975, constituting the Integrated National Police with the Philippine Constabulary as nucleus.
On July 23, 1990 RA 6975 was enacted by the Philippine Legislatures, an act establishing the Philippine National Police under a reorganized Department of Interior and Local Government. Pursuant to this act, the GHQ, Camp Crame Quezon, City issued a General Order Nr 808 dated June 24, 1991 for the activation of a highly efficient and competent Police Force that is National in scope and civilian in character. Sometime after this period, Biliran Sub-Province was separated from Leyte when it became the 6th Province of Region 8 and Ormoc, as a chartered city, created its new police unit named Ormoc Metropolitan District Command. Thus, police units of Leyte province were reduced two (2) cities and forty (40) municipal police stations. Likewise, 801st and 802nd Police Provincial Mobile Groups were created also under the Province of Leyte now named Leyte Police Provincial Office.
The following military/police officers were designated as Provincial Commanders/Directors of Leyte Police Provincial Office
COL ANTONIO OCAMPO, PC
COL EDDIE P FORNDA, PC
COL VICENTE GARCIA, PC
COL ANACLETO ARQUE, PC
COL IBARRA C MARIANO, PC
COL DIONY V VENTURA, PC
COL REYNALDO M ACOP, PC
PSUPT RODULFO N CAISIP
PSUPT PACIFICO P VILLARINO
PSUPT EDWIN A PFLEIDER
PSSUPT GREGORIO C DOLINA
PSUPT ROMEO S LAURENTE
PSUPT JODY C SYDIONGCO
PSUPT LEON NILO A DE LA CRUZ
PSUPT ROGELIO T MONTEJO
PSSUPT TEODORIDO RIFAREAL LAPUZ IV
PSUPT ROGELIO T MONTEJO
PSSUPT GENEDACANAY BLANDO
PSSUPT WILLIAM ENCALLADO VALENCIA JR
PSSUPT DOROTEO NAPALIT PALCONIT
As of December 2007, the total strength of the Leyte Police Provincial Office is 1,401 with eighty one (83) PCOs, one thousand two hundred twenty-nine (1, 305) PNCOs and nineteen (19) NUPs.
One of the significant historical accounts accredited to the Leyte Police Provincial Office was when said office was chosen as a contender for the Best of Best Police Provincial Office nationwide for calendar year 2002.
II. General Info and Demography
Leyte is a Class “A” province that has a land area of 5,205.5 sq. km with a total population of 1, 611,744. It is bounded in the north by the waters of Carigara Bay; San Pedro Bay and the Leyte Gulf which empties into the Pacific in the east; the province of Southern Leyte in the south; and in the west by the Visayan Sea, Camotes Sea, Ormoc Bay and the Canigao Channel. Leyte covers two (2) cities and 40 municipalities with a total of 1,531 barangays.
Likewise the Province has 23 islets, 57 tourist spots, and 23 wharves with 1 commercial airport (Daniel Z Romualdez Airport) located in Tacloban City. Other vital government and private installations situated throughout the province are the following: Leyte Geothermal Plant in Tongonan, Kananga; Leyte Industrial Development Complex (PASAR and PHILPHOS), Isabel; LMWD Treatment Plant in Brgy. Tingib, Pastrana; PEPSI COLA Bottling, Tanauan; COCA-COLA Bottling and oil Depot both situated in Tacloban; LEYECO II, III and DORELCO in Tacloban, Tunga and Tolosa, Leyte respectively. Leading tourist attractions include the San Juanico Bridge, Gen. Douglas Mac Arthur Landing Memorial and Hill 522 both located in Palo, Leyte and Hill 120 in Dulag, Leyte.
Land Area - 5,205.5 sq km
Population - 1,611, 744
Municipalities - 40
Islets - 23
Tourist spots - 57
Wharves - 23
Commercial Airport -1
Congressional District - 5
Politically, Leyte province is subdivided into 5 congressional districts. District I covers the city of Tacloban and municipalities of Tanauan, Babatngon, Palo, Tolosa, Sta. Fe, San Miguel and Alangalang. District II represents the towns of Capoocan, Carigara, Barugo, Tunga, Jaro, Pastrana, Dagami, Tabontabon, Burauen, Julita, Dulag, Mayorga, La Paz and Mac Arthur. District III covers the municipalities of Calubian, Leyte, Tabango, San Isidro and Villaba. The municipalities of Palompon, Isabel, Matag-ob, Kananga, Albuera and Merida cover District IV, the City of Baybay and municipalities of Abuyog, Mahaplag, Inopacan, Hindang, Hilongos, Bato, Javier and Matalom represent District V.
Providing the delivery of public safety services in the province, Leyte Police Provincial Office based in KutaKankabato, San Jose, Tacloban City maintains two (2) provincial mobile groups: the 801st based in BOQ, KutaKankabato, San Jose, Tacloban City and 802nd in Brgy. Gaas, Baybay City. Forty-two (42) police stations are also being maintained corresponding to the number of cities and municipalities